Lazy blogging returns. Thanks, Jen, for the enabling.
1. I feel like my dorky middle-school tastes are becoming popularized nowadays. For instance:
2. The Hobbit was one of my favorite books in 5th grade and beyond. I remember my friend Courtney and I reading aloud Gollum’s riddles again and again on the playground. Even though we knew the answers, somehow we got a thrill in re-figuring them out [and I wondered why no boys liked me back then]. And now it’s a blockbuster sensation [which, alas, I have yet to see]. Aaaaaand, I have been invited to a get-together this weekend, in which we’re all bringing food from the first chapter of The Hobbit, when all the dwarves show up and Bilbo keeps bringing out treats for them. I am so giddy about this, it’s at the level of ridiculous. I’m providing scones with clotted cream and raspberry jam; Ryan is bringing pale ale.
3. As a frizzy-haired, braces-donning, crooked-glasses lass I was also obsessed with Broadway shows, my favorite was always Les Miserables, perhaps due to my early francophile disposition [again, it is such a shocker that I didn’t have my first boyfriend until I was 17]. I read the book, memorized the two-CD soundtrack, saw the play onstage twice, watched a PBS version of the play recorded on VHS over and over and over.
In anticipation of the movie, I have been singing the songs for Philomena for weeks now. My voice isn’t much better than my prepubescent self [and maybe even *worse* somehow?], but Mena doesn’t know the word “stop” yet, so it’s really a win-win for us all.
My gracious in-laws babysat yesterday, and Ryan took me to see Les Mis. Oooooooooohhhhh mmmmmmyyyyyy…it was INCREDIBLE. I know I have a tendency towards hyperbole, but honestly, it lived up to all my expectations, and maybe even exceeded them. I cried and cried and cried. [Thankfully, I have a husband who never is found without a handkerchief.] I may or may not have found myself singing a little now and then. I get to see movies in theaters so rarely, and I am very grateful I was able to see this one on the big screen. Even Ryan, who didn’t know anything about the book or musical was moved too.
4. I am glad to have found a boy to like me, who accepts [and perhaps enjoys?!] my dorky.
5. So, I haven’t done Tasty Thursday for two weeks now. Last week I took a bunch of pictures of prepping the dish, but then I just didn’t follow-through. Meh.
6. Speaking of food pictures, Ryan graciously went through and organized ALL of the pictures on the camera and harddrive. I broke down and just said, “okay, delete everything that’s of food, food preparation, or other random projects that never made it on the blog.” It was a painful decision, but really, let’s be honest, I’m never going to go back and blog about that vegetarian chili from August.
7. Later today or tomorrow I hope to compile a post about our delightful Christmas/Birthday extravaganza. I know all of you will be giddily refreshing this page in anticipation. Until then, a preview:
[Update: apparently Ryan was upset that I didn’t include a *picture* of my middle school self. That kind of deprecation is for another day.]