I haven’t done one of these in a while.
As usual, there is no theme and very little coherence.
1. Philomena had a runny nose on Wednesday, and I had a slight tickle in my throat last night…but I woke up this morning feeling as though I had been run over by a bus [and not a lame school bus, but rather a full-fledged city public transportation bus]. I am definitely a pathetic, dramatic sick person: any graces that come from bearing my cross silently and “offering it up” are completely missed.
So, I called my mom. Obviously.
2. The living saint that she is, Grandma was at my doorstep in less than 15 minutes to pick up Mena. This allowed me to take a two! and-a-half! hour! nap! It was glorious, absolutely brilliant. I seriously cannot think of the last time I took a nap that long. I woke up not feeling great, but at least I was functional.
My mom brought Philomena back right before her naptime, which lasted three! hours! Thus, I was actually even able to get some work done today.
3. The events of today just reaffirmed how incredibly blessed I am to have so much family nearby. Both my and Ryan’s entire immediate family lives within 20 minutes of us. And each one of them is so extremely generous with their time and love for us.
I know this sounds a little cheesy, but well, it’s true. Amidst my morning of self-pity, I was able to say a few prayers for those parents with young children who do not have close family nearby. I honestly don’t know how you do it!
4. Alright, enough deep thoughts for today…
Like I mentioned previously, I am working on getting some more order in my life. We do a fairly good job of keeping the majority of the house tidy on a day-to-day basis.
However, there are those certain areas [which happen to coincide with the places no one else usually sees] that I let get reeeaaaalllly out of control.
For example, my closet:
[only my side is pictured…but, trust me, Ryan’s side is immaculate in comparison.]
This was so embarrassing, that I *almost* lied and said “I forgot to take a picture of the ‘before,’ so you’ll just have to trust that it was bad!”
Anyway, last week I spent countless hours purging and organizing. The result:
[not pictured: two FULL trash bags of clothes to give away!]
5. Philomena’s newest “thing” is pointing at the computer and saying “ho! ho! ho!” And no, she is not asking to see the fictional man in red from the North Pole. Instead, she is a latecomer to the music trend of 2012, and is obsessed with this song.
If I try to be sly and play something else (even from the same band), she’ll give me a confused look and say, “ho? ay?”
6. She figured out that my
iphone ipod plays “ho ho” too. I can’t do anything with it without her wanting to grab it to hear the song. This afternoon I was trying to get a video of her rocking her dolly (so cute!), and instead this happened. [Although I am a terrible videographer, in this case the shaky footage is because she was trying to grab the device the entire time.]
7. Philomena also spends an oddly significant amount of the day bent over to see the world upside-down. We’ve been trying to get a picture of this, and Ryan was successful the other day:
Enjoy your weekend! If Kansas weather doesn’t go all bi-polar on us again, hopefully there are some walks and parks in our near future. Or maybe we’ll build a snowman.
See Jen for more takes.